Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Prayer Request

I don't really know this person, have never personally met him.  I don't even know if he's a Christian, or what.  I do, however, know what it's like to watch someone devoured by pancreatic cancer.

David is being tested for pancreatic cancer.  I haven't told him I'm praying for him, and I haven't asked;  my father died of pancreatic cancer, and it is a horrible, horrible way to go, so I don't care whether he wants my prayers or not.  He has a wife, children and grandchildren, and is loved by people that I love - that's all the permission I need.

*UPDATE*

My brother, Jeff, the middle son, has cancer of the bladder and needs surgery. 

Please remember both David and Jeff in your prayers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So if they die, god wanted them to die?
Or it's just one of those "We don't understand all; dog moves in mysterious ways" things?

MarkBrunson said...

I don't know. All I do know on the subject is I don't want people to suffer needlessly. Whether there is or is not a God, it wouldn't change things in the slightest, so the question is actually moot.

MarkBrunson said...

To amend my answer -

Yes, it would be God's Will that they die. It's not particularly mysterious, as it's built into the system, so, death is inevitably God's Will. I will die - God's Will. You will die - God's Will. Everything will die. David and Jeff will, eventually, die. There's nothing unfair or horrible in that. Only our attitude makes suffering - which is unnecessary, at least after one learns that it is unnecessary. We give death, pain and loss its power.

MarkBrunson said...

Further amendment:

Of course we don't know all. I can think of no rational human, whatever their belief system, who would claim otherwise!

June Butler said...

Mark, I will pray for David and for your brother Jeff. My sister died of pancreatic cancer, so I know what a horrible disease it is.

If you'd like, I will post on my blog asking prayers for both David and Jeff or, if you prefer just one of them, or neither of them. Whatever you say.

MarkBrunson said...

Mimi,

I would welcome a post asking for prayers for both.

June Butler said...

Done, Mark. See here.

Is your blog still only for those who have been invited? I didn't know whether to link or not.

MarkBrunson said...

You can link.

I'm not keeping myself hidden anymore. Just tired of being reactive and self-pitying.

曙霏 said...

At the very least, prayer changes the world around the center of the pray-er. It turns that listening, quantum eye of the pray-er toward the pray-ee's state of being. This works, in the fullness of time-space, regardless if you tell the pray-ee or not. Whatever gods that hear us, when we pray for others, we bring each other closer together. How can that not be a miracle?

I'll pray that you are strong for those in your life who love and need you, Mr. Brunson...